I’m going device-free this weekend (or rather the kids are)
I got the kids back today and before I went to pick them up from school, I was thinking about how reliant I have become on their tablets for me to get a bit of extra time in bed or a bit of quiet time in the afternoon. I think they have also become rather addicted to them as a way to entertain themselves. I had a bit of a think about this and decided it would be easier just to take the tablets out of the equation altogether so I told my ex that I wasn’t going to be needing them this week/weekend.
I told the kids and instead of being upset about not having their devices, they were excited about all the other things that we could do.
Here are my ideas of the kind of thing we could get up to:
- Drawing & colouring (now I have my new printer I can print out colouring in sheets for them)
- Clay modelling (I don’t have any so a trip to the Range might be in order)
- Watch a movie together
- Go for a walk (I will allow Josh to hunt Pokemon on my phone as it also gets us all out in the fresh air)
- Make stuff (we got a few kits for Christmas and birthdays which we haven’t use)
- Build a marble run
- Read books
- Make a den
- Origami (Josh got some paper & a book for Christmas)
- Dressing up
- Go to a charity shop
- Write thank you letters
- Make stuff with Lego
These are just a few things I’ve thought of. If you have anything to add, let me know in the comments!
Here are a few pictures of fun activities done in the past: